The Midland Railway's Newtown Goods line was a late addition to the network, opening on 1st November 1910. It bridged the River Colne and Calder & Hebble Navigation courtesy of a viaduct 255 yards long, 90 feet high and comprising 15 arches.
It shares many of the architectural features of its fellow Midland structures at Horbury Bridge and Crigglestone - all three are built from blue engineering brick and products of the 20th century. Indeed the Newtown branch was associated with the Midland scheme to create an independent link between Sheffield and Bradford, avoiding the congested lines around Leeds. It reached Dewsbury but was abandoned when the Lancashire & Yorkshire granted running powers over its lines.
The route was never a roaring success and traffic levels dropped further after the LMS created a link into Newtown Goods from Red Doles Junction. The section from Mirfield, crossing Bradley Viaduct, saw its last trains on 12th August 1937. It was a very short life for a striking piece of engineering.