Burnden Viaduct

The smaller sister of Darcy Lever Viaduct, Burnden comprises six 73-foot lattice spans which were replaced in 1882, 34 years after they first carried trains. Originally the pillars were 15 feet higher but the land beneath was raised to accommodate a dual carriageway. This resulted in the River Croal being culverted and the Manchester, Bolton and Bury canal filled-in. Today, the structure is Grade II listed.

Although some of the ironwork looks a little ropey, the deck was recently replaced by the British Railways Board (Residuary). The Bolton-Bury line, including this structure, is the focus of a scheme to create a footpath/cycleway

(Many thanks to Andy Davis for his shots of Burnden)
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
July 08

Back to the top