Cleckheaton (road) Viaduct

1892 saw the London & North Western Railway gain powers to construct a 13-mile line through the industrial heart of West Yorkshire, from Mirfield to Leeds. Known as the Leeds New Line, the intention was to increase capacity by effectively four-tracking the existing route via Morley, albeit adopting a completely different alignment. The local topography brought with it many engineering difficulties which had to be overcome with sharp curves, challenging gradients and a couple of lengthy tunnels.

Opening of the line came in October 1900. As a result of it passing some distance to the east of Cleckheaton, a lengthy approach road had to be built to link the station with the town centre, crossing 60 feet above Mann Dam on a 13-span viaduct of around 150 yards. It features minimalist girder piers on brick plinths with masonry copings. Comprising the deck are six longitudinal brick barrel vaults between cast iron beams, supported by transverse beams above each pier. The stone parapets have ashlar copings.

The station, which was renamed Cleckheaton Spen in 1924, closed to passengers on 3rd January 1953. The line through it survived until January 1966, welcoming freight and express services. The viaduct was afforded a Grade II listing in 1984 and remains open as a footpath.

Click on this icon for photos of Mann Dam's rich wildlife.
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
Dec 12

Back to the top