Deepdale Viaduct

(Photo 4 © National Railway Museum/Science & Society Picture Library)

This cast and wrought iron viaduct, opened in 1861, was designed by Thomas Bouch as part of the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway.

Consisting of 11 spans totalling 740 feet, the structure crossed Deepdale beck at a height of 161 feet. Closure of the line came in 1962 and the viaduct was dismantled a year later - a process captured by a foresighted, local photographer.

Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
Nov 12

Back to the top