(All pictures © Andy Davis)
In 1882, the London & North Western Railway constructed a short connection between Whelley and Standish Junctions which filled a gap in its diversionary route around the east side of Wigan.
It crossed the valley of the River Douglas at a height of 50 feet on a substantial viaduct, approaching 1,000 feet in length. The structure comprises eight brick arches at its curved northern end, six girder spans and five further arches to the south. It was known locally as The Twenty Arches despite there only being 19!
Closure came in 1973. Despite its scrap value, the structure remains intact today although trees conspire to mask it.