Opened on 18th June 1866 by the North British Railway, this six-span, iron plate-girder bridge carried its railway - the line from Peebles to Galashiels - for 130 yards over the River Tweed. It has a riveted construction with brick infill beneath the spans and coursed rusticated sandstone ashlar cutwater piers. The skew structure is an early example of its type and is one of a pair with the nearby Horsburgh Viaduct, further west.
Today it is used by foot passengers, cyclists and horses, having seen its last train on 5th February 1962. It is Grade B listed.