Headfield Viaduct

The former half-line connecting line between Dewsbury Junction and Headfield Junction featured a 14-arch masonry viaduct incorporating a plate girder span over Sands Lane and two open bowstring spans over the River Calder. These are 126 and 110 feet in length.

It saw its first traffic in October 1887. But the route was little used and survived only until 1933. Relaid as a single-track goods line in 1965, the closure of Dewsbury Goods Depot brought its final demise in 1990. Tracks were lifted five years later.

The structure has been tarmacked as part of a Sustrans foot and cycle path, providing access between Savile Town and the centre of Dewsbury.

Click here for the story of Headfield Viaduct's cycle path conversion.
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
July 11

Back to the top