Now carrying the 23-mile Scarborough to Whitby Railway Path, the Grade II listed viaduct across the Esk at Larpool is 915 feet long, reputedly comprising five million red bricks. These contribute to its estimated weight of almost 26,000 tonnes. Straight for much of its length, the structure has a 10-chain curve at its northern end.
Supporting the arches are 12 piers, four of which stand in the water on top of brick cyclinders. These were built with iron cutting shoes, enabling them to sink more than 40 feet into the river bed, under their own weight, in order to reach a solid rock foundation. Three of the piers are skewed so as not to deflect the tidal flow. Of the 13 arches, the longest span is 64 feet, taking the line over the middle of the river at a height of 120 feet; the others are around 60 feet.
Engineered by Charles Fox & Sons and designed by C A Rowlandson, the viaduct cost £40,000. Construction began in October 1882, finishing two years later on 24th October 1884. The line over it opened in July the following year but only survived until March 1965.