(Photo 8 © Simon Ledingham)
Lowgill Viaduct (structure number INL/3) consists of eleven semi-circular arches, each with a 45 feet span. From end-to-end, it is 620 feet and carried the Ingleton-Lowgill line 100 feet above the stream below.
Even in 1861, the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway had great difficulty securing experienced labour as navvies found the area too dull.
Regular traffic over the viaduct ceased in December 1964 but the route was retained for diversionary purposes until July 1966.