Built by the Tees Valley Railway and opened in May 1868, the single-track viaduct over the River Lune at Mickleton is an attractive structure in stone and brick. Today it is Grade II listed.
The structure comprises abutments and four battered piers supporting five near-semicircular arches. These are formed from seven courses of grey bricks although the spandrels are in rock-faced stone. The solid coped parapets have piers at their ends with pyramidal caps. At the northern end are raking flat-coped retaining walls at right angles to the viaduct.
The last train to cross it - a freight service - did so on 5th April 1965. Passenger trains were withdrawn in November 1964. The track had gone by the spring of 1967.
Nowadays the viaduct's only traffic is on foot, cycle or horseback.