Lune (Waterside) Viaduct

Opened in 1861, the striking Lune Viaduct - a product of Joseph Locke and John Errington - was the major engineering feature within the second of four contracts which together formed the Ingleton branch. It was the scene of several accidents during its construction.

Built of Penrith stone, the abutments are 177 yards apart whilst the deck reaches a height of 100 feet. Structure number INL/12 is now Grade II* listed. In 2008, Lune underwent refurbishment courtesy of its owners, British Railways Board (Residuary).

Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
July 08

Back to the top