Martholme Viaduct

Although Parliament gave powers for an alternative route from Blackburn to Padiham in 1866, problems with Martholme Viaduct delayed the line’s opening for more than a decade. Eventually it was decided to engineer the structure from stone rather than timber.

To ensure its long-term stability, local bigwig and landowner James Lomax accepted a payment of £1,800 as compensation for not mining coal from beneath the structure.

Martholme comprises ten 40-foot arches, two of which span the River Calder. It is hoped that a footpath will eventually cross the structure but there are landowner issues at the eastern side.
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
Feb 09

Back to the top