This structure, comprising 11 elliptical arches, is around 700 feet long and spans both Leicester Road and the River Avon. Opened in 1840 by the Midland Counties Railway, it is one of the country’s oldest disused viaducts, forming part of the first rail route between London and York. Engineered by Charles Vignoles, it is built in red brick with a facing of Staffordshire blue brindles and sandstone dressings.
The main line over it was closed in January 1962 but traffic continued to use the structure until May 1965, serving the canal basin at nearby Newbold.
As part of the Connect2 scheme, Sustrans and the local council have completed the development of a £1 million foot and cycle path across the viaduct, connecting districts to the north of Rugby with the area around the town's station.
The structure gained a Grade II listing in February 2000.