Twizel Viaduct

Built between 1846-49 by the York Newcastle & Berwick Railway, Twizel Viaduct comprises six flat arches, extending for 136 yards between its two abutments at a height of 90 feet. Also known as St Cuthbert's Viaduct, it is now protected by a Grade II listing and looked after by the British Railways Board (Residuary). They know it as structure KLO/26.

It first took the strain of a train on 27th July 1849 and saw its last one in March 1965, having waved goodbye to its passenger service in June 1964.

Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
Jan 10

Back to the top