Wilmington swing bridge

(Photos 8-10 Mick Nicholson Collection)

Now Grade II listed, the swing bridge over the River Hull at Wilmington was a replacement for a single-track structure on the Victoria dock branch of the York & North Midland Railway which opened in 1853. 5th May 1907 saw the new one enter service. Although closed to rail traffic since 1968, the bridge was converted to form part of a footpath in 1991. This runs across its north side.

The span is formed of arched wrought iron girders supported on a roller-bearing central pivot. Still in situ above the deck is the timber-clad signal/control cabin which is held aloft by four riveted girders. The swing mechanism remains operational and is worked by a device in the cabin engaging with a ring gear on the pivot.

Click the icon for the full story of the bridge's construction.

Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
May 11

Back to the top