Lydbrook Viaduct demolition

Lydbrook Viaduct was built in 1872 to connect Cinderford to the Ross-on-Wye to Monmouth line via Serridge Junction. It was last used for passenger traffic in 1929 and by freight in 1951. A local cameraman filmed the viaduct's destruction in 1966.

With the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley attracting thousands of tourists every year, the removal of the railways throughout the area must call into question the lack of vision exhibited by the authorities of that period.

(1966)

Change page
Film index
Page history
Dec 09

Back to the top