(Photos 8 & 9 © Staffordshire Arts & Museum Service/
Staffordshire Past Track website)
The North Staffordshire Railway's station at Alton saw its first fare payers on 13th July 1849. Built in an Italianate villa style to a design by architect H A Hunt, it was used by the Earl of Shrewsbury who had a luggage lift installed to hoist his baggage up to Alton Towers, his gothic residence at the top of nearby Bunbury Hill.
There were three platforms. Those on the through lines were capable to accommodating up to 12 coaches - a reflection of the Earl's desire to receive his guests into impressive surroundings. And he also had his own suite of waiting rooms in the form of a three-storey tower with its own balcony.
Alton Station had the name "Towers" added in 1954, only to be closed by the British Transport Commission in January 1965.
The Grade II listed buildings were bought by the Landmark Trust which converted the Station Master's house and waiting room into holiday accommodation.