Broomielaw was a private station built for the Bowes-Lyon family although it occasionally welcomed local children. John Bowes was so proud of his little piece of railway that he named one his racehorses after it.
The station first appeared on the public timetable in 1942 and remained open until November 1964. Complete closure came in the spring of 1965 when the line was axed.
The signal box was of a standard design used by the Southern division of the North Eastern Railway. Today it's in a rather dilapidated state.