(All photos © Philip Lindhurst)
Built by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway in 1867, the line through Crouch End joined Finsbury Park to Edgware. The station had two platforms linked to a street-level building which was built on an overbridge. A signal box controlled movements in and out of a siding behind the Down platform. Concrete platforms were installed as part of the ‘new works plan’ in 1935.
Wartime economies resulted in services being reduced to rush hours only. When peace came, passenger numbers had dwindled and a shortage of funds led to the cancellation of the unfinished works. Passenger services to Crouch End were severed on 3rd July 1954.
The line continued to carry goods into the 1960s. Complete closure came in 1970 when London Underground stopped using it for stock movements.
The trackbed is now part of the Parkland Walk.