Frongoch Station

(Photos 1-4 © Philip Lindhurst; photo 5 © Ralph Rawlinson)

The station at Frongoch served a small, isolated community and the local whisky distillery which sent barrels of its finest to market via rail.

Opened by the Bala & Ffestiniog Railway in 1882 and later becoming part of the Great Western’s network, the line was drowned by the construction of the Llyn Celyn reservoir to satisfy Liverpool’s thirst.

Frongoch’s passenger service survived until January 1960 with the last goods train passing through just over a year later.

The station building survives as a private residence.

(Ralph Rawlinson's photo is used under this Creative Commons licence.)
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
Apr 09

Back to the top