(All pictures © Philip Lindhurst)
Sited in a cutting between two pairs of tunnels, Highgate High Level Station was born unto the Edgware, Highgate & London Railway in 1867. During the 1880s, it underwent a rebuild - losing separate platforms for Up and Down trains and instead gaining a single, island one.
Further redevelopment took place shortly before the Second World War as part of plans to incorporate the line within London's Underground system. This fell victim to post-war austerity.
Passenger numbers couldn't justify the route's retention. Highgate High Level went the way of the line's other stations, closing on 3rd July 1954. Freight traffic lingered for another eight years.