The area around Tintern became a popular tourist attraction during the latter part of the 19th century due, in part, to the ruins of its abbey. This ensured that the station, opened in November 1876, became a well known stopping point on the Wye Valley Railway, despite being almost a mile from the village centre.
The line approached from the south through a tunnel of 182 yards before emerging onto a bridge across the river and then entering the station. It was the largest on the branch, consisting of a stone building on the Up (northbound) platform, a roofed island platform, goods shed, loading bays, cattle pens, sidings and a Down loop which handled many of the 'Abbey excursions'. Movements were controlled from the signal box which overlooked the platforms.
Despite the introduction of diesels railcars in the 1930s, passenger services came to a halt on 5th January 1959, with freight ending in 1964. Since then, some of the trackbed has been converted into a footpath whilst the station building's have become a recreational and refreshment centre. Although the island platform has gone, the signal box remains and has been sympathetically restored.