Opened on 5th September 1887, this extensive station was rather distant from the village after which it is named, being more than a mile to its east. Construction of the route received considerable support from Lord Ravensworth, a local landowner, and the station was built very much for his benefit.
Whittingham boasted the only island platform on the single track branch, creating one of two passing loops, the other being at Wooler. As well as its large main building, the site boasted a signal box and water column to the east as well as five sidings to the west serving a goods shed, goods platform, loading bay and coal drops - the latter also having a weighbridge. The substantial Station Master’s house sits close to the south-west corner of the platform, overlooked by a road-over-rail bridge.
The passenger service was short-lived, ending on 22nd September 1930, but the goods facilities continued to welcome traffic until March 1953.
Although the decorative cast iron canopy has long since lost its glass, the platform building adorned by it is now Grade II listed and awaiting restoration as a dwelling. Five adjacent railwaymen’s cottages are also undergoing refurbishment and will soon become holiday lets.