(Photos 2-5 © Phill Davison, photos 8-10 © Roger Hepworth)
The Great Northern's route between Dewsbury Junction and Batley included a 161-yard tunnel at Crackenedge, allowing it to pass beneath the LNWR's line which ran on a parallel course up the valley.
Opened on 12th April 1880, the two-track tunnel curves to the east and includes a single ventilation shaft. Its surface funnel still stands - complete with pepperpot - alongside the operational line. The lining and both portals are in red brick with masonry voissours between them.
The route closed to passengers in 1964, with all traffic ceasing on 15th February 1965. Since then, the southern portal - which was masonry-built - has been buried and the section up to the shaft backfilled.
A substantial retaining wall is found immediately beyond the north portal which looks out onto a scrapyard.
||Click on this icon for more of Phill's pictures.