Chedworth Tunnel

(All photos © Midland Explorer Boy)

Opened in 1891 as part of a grand link between the Midlands and Southampton, Chedworth's 494-yard tunnel sits at the end of a deep cutting to the north of the village.

The stone-built southern portal contrasts with a brick construction at the northern end. The bore itself - which is generally wet - has a five bricks thick lining.

The route closed in 1961 since when bats have taken up residence.

Click on this icon for more of Midland Explorer Boy's pictures.
Click on this icon for archive pictures of Chedworth Tunnel.
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
Jan 09

Back to the top