Harrogate (Brunswick) Tunnel

(All photos © Phill Davison: Leeds Historical Expedition Society)

On 20th July 1848, the inaurgural train rumbled through Harrogate tunnel into Brunswick station. Fourteen years later, the North Eastern railway opened a station in the centre of town and Brunswick was closed to passengers, though it clung to life as a goods depot for a short while. With vertical walls and a curved roof, the tunnel runs directly beneath Langcliffe Avenue. It was only built to keep the unsightly railway out-of-sight of Harrogate's affluent townsfolk. During the Second World War, it was converted to act as an air-raid shelter.

Click on this icon for more of Phill's shots on his blog
Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
July 08

Back to the top