(All photos © Neil Gooch)
The 11½-mile single track branch from Paddock Wood to Hawkhurst was opened in two sections, with the full route coming into service in 1893. It despatched a million potted plants a year to Woolworths stores nationwide. Two short tunnels were constructed by contractor J T Firbank - Horsmonden at 86 yards and the longer Badger's Oak which took the line under a minor road around one mile north of the terminus. Both are bricked lined and remain open today although Horsmonden's south portal is partly infilled.