(Photos 7-9 © Keith Allford)
Pick and shovel was first put to work on Mierystock Tunnel in the summer of 1872. Trains started running through it two years later. The 242-yard single bore is curved at its northern end. It is masory lined and features stone portals.
1893 saw tragedy strike in the tunnel when a locomotive claimed the life of a ganger.
Closure claimed the line from Mierystock Sidings to Lydbrook Junction in 1956 and the track was lifted on 11th July 1960. The deep northern approach cutting surrendered to the pressure of health and safety in the 1970s, being infilled with colliery waste.
In February 2005, the northern portal's keystone was unearthed when four local pensioners paid for a week's effort from a JCB and operator (it might sound unlikely but it's perfectly true) and they help to reveal the rest of the cutting by securing a £50,000 lottery grant.
It is hoped that a footpath, which occupies the rest of the line's former trackbed, will soon be routed through the bore.
||Click on this icon for the story of Mierystock Tunnel.