(All pictures © ManOf2Worlds)
Closed on 10th December 2006, Silvertown Tunnel was cut in 1880 to carry passenger trains under the connecting channel between the existing Royal Victoria Dock and the newly-built Royal Albert Dock. The line itself - constructed by the Eastern Counties Railway - had opened at a higher level 25 years earlier.
At both ends, the approach cuttings have vertical sides which are kept apart by series of flying arches. The tunnel itself is double track and brick-lined except for the 117 yard section between its two ventilation shafts where two single bores are provided, reinforced with ribs. It follows an S-shaped course.