Ireland's disused tunnels

Just as happened in the UK, the Fifties and Sixties saw many of Ireland's railways closed in the name of rationalisation, including most of the Republic's branch lines. Although the network was quite extensive, the number of disused tunnels is relatively small. There are however several notable structures including one within a hair's breadth of a mile in length.

As is the case with our main tunnels database, we have looked for links to photographs or information about each entry. The 'Portal' links takes you to an aerial view showing the portal's location. For tunnels in the Republic of Ireland, an additional link is provided to mapping on the OSI website.

If you can help with any details, omissions or corrections, please click the 'contact us' link in the sidebar to get in touch. All information will be gratefully received.
Current total: 24
Barnagh
L&K
~125
1
1880
1975
Brabazon
D&W
37(g)
1
1855
1876
Capecastle
Bally
66
1
1880
1950
The Ballycastle Railway was a 3'00" narrow gauge line.
Carlisle Pier
D&K
45(g)
1
1859
1980
Connabury
D&E
57(g)
1849
1960
Drung (Druach) Hill No.1
GS&W
120
1
1893
1960
Drung (Druach) Hill No.2
GS&W
91
1
1893
1960
Drung Hill Covered Way
GS&W
50
1
1893
1960
Dungannon
PD&O
814
1
1861
1965
Durrow (Ballyvoyle)
WD&L
418
1
1878
1982
Gogginshill (Ballinhassig)
C&B
906
1
1851
1961
Kilpatrick
C&B
~164
1849
1961
Lissummon
N&A
1759
1
1864
1957
Lissummon Tunnel was constructed from six shafts but none was retained for ventilation purposes.
Loughgilly
N&A
365
1
1864
1957
Mount Elliot
DW&W
740(g)
1
1887
1963
Newport
MGW
133
1
1894
1937
Newport (Diversion)
MGW
88
1
1896
1937
Passage No.1
CB&P
157(g)
1
1902
1932
Passage No.2
CB&P
361(g)
1
1902
1932
The tunnel at Passage West is split into two distinct structures by passing through a quarry, creating a gap of around 17 yards for ventilation purposes.
Prospect Hill
MGW
80(g)
1
1895
1935
Queen's Bridge Subway
BC
131
1881
1963
Snow Hill
F&R
217
1
1906
2010
Services on the Rosslare-Waterford line, through Snow Hill Tunnel, ended on 18th September 2010 although reports indicate that the route is still being maintained as an engineers' siding.
St Patrick's Churchyard
WC
~32
1866
1961
Whitehead
C&L
145
1
1862
1994

 
Back to the top